Artist Spotlight: Walter Crew

It Is What It Is

Walter Crew lives in Pleasant Hill and has been painting for over twenty years. Before retiring, he had a career as a Journeyman Aircraft Machinist at Alameda Naval Air Station. He also bred and showed English Bulldogs for fifteen years.

"Painting is my therapy - it’s positive and relaxing, especially with so much negativity in the world. I usually paint each evening before I go to bed. I want to be creative and do my own style - I don’t think anyone else paints quite like I do. I want to make paintings that will make viewers stop and take a second look and hopefully remember it. If I’m not able to get the viewer's attention right away, then I haven’t succeeded.

With the above mixed media piece, “It is what it is," I just sat down and did whatever I felt like doing at the time. I love creating this kind of unplanned work. I added collage objects to my acrylic painting, worked in different figures, netting, cut-outs...I had fun and I want to do more like this.


My bird painting was done in oils with added solvent drippings for texture.

I enjoy working with a variety of styles and mediums - I want to try it all! Never be afraid to make mistakes - that’s how we learn. You won’t be very creative or go very far if you're afraid of mistakes."