Artist Spotlight: Susan Erickson

Birds of Paradise  24x18 mixed media  $375

"I am an artist without a cause - or an artist that causes and creates huge messes as I paint, collage, mark, distress, sand and glue paper on wood substrates. For many years, I’ve collected bins of paper with interesting words, images, patterns and color. Many of these “paper treasures” come from old books, magazines, and more to include pictures of animals, birds, flowers, words and alphabets. I find great pieces of paper in many interesting places including garbage cans, telephone poles, sides of buildings and even the street.

Garden Hideout  24x24 mixed media  $625

Graffiti Wipeout represents images that I see in Jack London Square, where I have my studio. Seeing many doors, windows, trash bins, and railroad cars marked up with graffiti influenced this piece. I like addition and subtraction of paper and paint, producing many layers of interesting mixed media.

Graffiti Wipeout   30x30 mixed media   $825

My family and I have lived in Lafayette for the last 38 years and I've been working for approximately 15 years on paper and wood. I’ve done encaustics, assemblage, printmaking, book arts and many other artistic adventures. I was part of the Lafayette Art Gallery for fifteen years and I'm currently a contributor to Valley Art Gallery in Walnut Creek and also the Moraga Art Gallery.

Being an artist always gives me something to think about and create. I’ve never been bored for lack of things to do. I tell my children that in my senior years, just give me a pair of scissors, glue and paper and I will be happy. I feel lucky to have all my family nearby and to have the opportunity and freedom to make art."

To purchase any of the artwork shown, click here to submit payment online via PayPal. Include the artist's name and title of the art in the note field. We will confirm a "no-contact" porch pickup appointment with you via email.