Artist spotlight: Danguole Rita Kuolas

Untitled - 24x18" woodblock print  $400

"From the first time that I carved a linoleum block at the age of 12, I have been a printmaker. Printmaking has been the medium in which I found my artistic voice. That voice was further amplified when I began familiarizing myself with the strong printmaking traditions of the country of my heritage, Lithuania.

My imagery comes from within. Unplanned, unexpected, evolving from one line, to a series of marks, to a shape, each step a constant surprise to me. Each plate or block causes a reaction that fuels the need to create the next. Whether etching copper, carving a wood block, assembling a collaged plate or incorporating digital media, I am fascinated by the technical and the physical aspects of creating an image. 

And that moment of lifting the paper off of the plate after running it through the press and seeing the resulting image still causes amazement. When the print is being viewed I smile at the thought that no one knows the secrets of creation that hide beneath the surface."

Festival - 18x24" woodblock print $400

"I have a BFA in printmaking and have been living in Lafayette for the last three years. I work every day in my fully-equipped studio and teach occasional workshops. I also make handmade paper and create artists’ books... art is my calling."

Beyond the Fence - 24x30" woodblock print  $300

Danguole is a member of the California Society of Printmakers, The Boston Printmakers, the Moraga Gallery and the Lamorinda Arts Alliance.


To purchase any of the artwork shown, click here to submit payment online via PayPal. Include the artist's name and title of the art in the note field. We will confirm a "no-contact" porch pickup appointment with you via email.