Artist Spotlight: Melchia Kutches

Melchia Kutches

"I grew up in upstate New York and studied Fine Arts at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City. After graduating in 1988, I moved to San Francisco, then later to the East Bay, where I have been living with my husband and teenage daughter for the last 28 years. 

I work creatively in many mediums that include wire, paper, sewing, plywood, oil and acrylic paintings on canvas, as well as designing and executing lighting fixtures.

As it is for all of us, this pandemic is trying. My husband is working from home, so I have limited space which has challenged me in my creativity. I am painting in acrylic on canvas more than my preferred medium of oil because it saves time in drying, and then can be stored quickly."


Melchia Kutches
Melchia Kutches