Artist Spotlight: Martin Biro

sunset martin biro
Sunset 


Originally from Budapest, Hungary, Martin Biro currently resides in Pleasant Hill. After studying art and economics in college, he became a silversmith with the family business, Biro and Sons, in San Francisco. 

"I went back to painting in my 40s when a well-known artist, Pauline Teller, asked me why I was not painting. I decided at that time to use only a palette knife instead of brushes, because oil paints create a very moving effect when layered with a knife. I have a growing interest in abstract expressionism, which I feel gives me greater freedom to explore.

All my paintings in the "Five from Six" show are based on photographs I've taken while wandering about New Mexico. My daughter was working on a PhD at the University of New Mexico, so I frequently traveled there to see her, as well as my best friend, Jerry Dunbar, who's an indigenous artist there. We've spent a lot of time spent viewing the colors and landscapes of that state, especially the Native American reservations."

martin biro
Four Corners

Four Corners is about the spot in the Southwest where four state borders meet at one point - Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah.

Click here to learn more about Martin Biro's work.